Monday, March 8, 2010

Recent Acquisitions

Bought a number of new books while out booking with my wife. A couple new ones (because I had a gift certificate and coupon from Borders) and a bunch of used ones from Edward McKay's in Raleigh. Here we go:

Mystery/Crime:
  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice and A Monstrous Regiment of Women by Laurie R. King [been wanting to check this series out for a long time]
  • Omnibus: Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes by Loren D. Estleman [I am a sucker for Holmes pastiches]
  • In the House of Secret Enemies by George C. Chesbro [these Chesbros are both hardbacks, though I've already read and own them in paperback]
  • An Incident at Bloodtide by George C. Chesbro
Science Fiction:
  • The Electric Church and The Digital Plague by Jeff Somers [these have sounded intriguing for a while now]
  • In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker [the author just died and I've recently heard about the series]
  • Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds [been wanting to investigate this series for a long time now]
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches ed. Kevin J. Anderson [love the original, plus I'm really curious to see what they say Teddy Roosevelt's reaction to the Martian invasion is]
Fantasy:
  • Death's Master by Tanith Lee [I have been wanting to read this series for probably 20 years; I'm probably old enough to appreciate it now]
  • Doc Sidhe by Aaron Allston [read it years ago and gave away my copy, but I think I may appreciate it more now]
Men's Adventure:
  • Casca: The Barbarian (#5) by Barry Sadler [one of the few Cascas I don't already own]
Horror/Thriller:
  • John Dies at the End by David Wong [been hearing great things about this one]
Non-Fiction:
  • Poplorica by Martin J. Smith and Patrick J. Kiger [I love throwing historical trivia at my students, so this may supply me with some new material]
  • Charlie Wilson's War by George Crile [been wanting to check this out for a long time, though I suspect that it seriously overestimates Wilson's importance; also curious what it says about Mike Vickers since I know and have worked with him]

No comments: