Friday, May 22, 2009

21 May 2009 Writing Update

This post isn't about books, instead it's about writing. I feel the need to start tracking my academic and personal writing output, and this is as good a place to do that as any. Not like anyone is reading this thing anyway.

Today's writing accomplishments:
  • Began revising my dissertation chapter outline according to my advisor's comments from the other day. It was my impression that he just wanted some informal thoughts, but as with everything he reads, he asked a number of tough, hard-hitting questions that will cause me to do a fair amount of additional writing. Another day or (more likely) two of writing will put this second draft to bed.
  • Completed and submitted my book review for On Point. If the one I did for them last year is any indication, I will receive no further information on the review. Presumably these suckers are published, because I've never actually seen a copy of the journal and my library doesn't stock it (nor do they provide electronic proofs).
  • Put some initial thoughts down on Explorers of Thoon (c), the planetary romance setting I have been wanting to create for a while now. Think of it as a combination of E. R. Burroughs' John Carter of Mars series and Thundarr the Barbarian.
  • A handful of discussion board posts on the Original D&D Discussion Board (my first on this board, though I have been lurking there for a while). The "Old School D&D Renaissance" has really caught my fancy of late. Too bad it took the deaths of E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson to bring old school D&D back to the front burner of everyone's attention.
So, all in all, not a bad day, writing-wise. Tomorrow I plan to do more work on the dissertation chapter outline, some more on Thoon, and maybe I'll even revisit the collaborative novels I am working on with JS.

No comments: